No GCJ, only Sun Java5: how??

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jan 11 15:28:43 UTC 2007

Ringo De Smet wrote:

> --- Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
>> Ringo De Smet wrote:
>>
>> > If I install gcj together with Tomcat, when I remove gcj afterwards,
>> > Tomcat is gone too, since you removed its dependency.
>>
>> That sounds very much like an assumption.  Show me the logs.  I'm
>> suggesting
>> that something _other_ than tomcat is going to get removed.
>
> No assumption! I really performed the installation of Tomcat 5.5 + GCJ.
> After the installation, I selected gcj-4.1-base for removal in Synaptic.
> When I do that, a popup comes up with a number of other packages it wants
> to remove. In that list are tomcat5.5, tomcat5.5-admin and
> tomcat5.5-webapps.

Duh?  Where is the log?  "In that list" is exactly what I'm talking about.
What else is there?  I submit that if you removed _all_ of those, and then
installed _just_ tomcat5 and sun-java5-jre, you wouldn't need gcj.

I apologize for missing, at the very beginning of the thread that you wanted
Tomcat5.5.  The problem comes down to it depending on ecj-bootstrap.  Stick
to tomcat5 and file a bug report against tomcat5.5 - which shouldn't need
ecj-bootstrap (for Eclipse!).
--
derek