disk usage

Alf-Ivar Holm alfh at student.matnat.uio.no
Thu Jan 11 08:56:35 UTC 2007

Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> writes:

> Alf-Ivar Holm wrote:
>
>> "lrm" appears to have changed name to "tmpfs" in Edgy.
>
> ?  Not at all.  tmpfs is just an in-memory filesystem.  /dev and /var/lock
> are on tmpfs, too. lrm is apparently _another_ tmpfs.  We should all have
> tmpfs file systems mounted, we don't all have lrm.

Indeed, there are several file systems of _type_ "tmpfs", but (at
least on my laptop with Edgy) the _name_ of
/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/volatile/ is set to "tmpfs".  These are my
tmpfs file systems:

  affi at gorgon:~$ mount|grep tmpfs
  varrun on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=0755)
  varlock on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,mode=1777)
  udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
  devshm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
  tmpfs on /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)

The latter is the previously named "lrm", and as you can see, "tmpfs"
is mentioned twice on that line.

	Affi