live cd

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Thu Jan 11 05:09:19 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 23:58 -0500, Ghostmaster wrote:

> I tried out the live cd.  But I never got past the load kernel.  I
> waited for a while.  How long should I wait?

Not that long.  Within a minute you should see some activity. How fast
the actual desktop screen comes up depends on some factors, but you
should definitely keep seeing progress/activity.

If this doesn't happen then it CAN be becuase of your hardware,

OR:

* There is a problem with the CD you burnt.  Run the disc check option
that's included in the first menu that comes up.

* You burnt the wrong CD image for a different computer architecture
than the one you're using.

> Does this mean I can't use the Ubuntu with my hardware?  Should I try
> in my other DVD drive or what?

Sure, that occasionally happens too. That a burnt disc for whatever
reason isn't read properly by a particular drive.

A final resort is also to not use the Live/Install Cd but the
'alternate' CD that proceeds to install Ubuntu without giving you the
'live' environment first.  (So the text-based installer)

Cheers,
Chanchao