GNU/Linux based CAD Environment;

email.listen at googlemail.com email.listen at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 11 03:21:39 UTC 2007

Am Wed, 10. January 2007 11:46 schrieb Yagnesh Desai:
> Dear Thomas;
>
> Great that you have pointed out the Varkon.  I will surly try
> it out.
>
> Just for your information debian has it in its repository what
> we can do is try to install it from Debian's archive.
>
> On the CAD based distribution I have a wild thought:
> I think one can start a distributing "CAD addons" for linux.
> From this place Source codes of such software would be linked
> to and also a compiled .iso image would be available so after installing
> your favorite Linux distribution (ubuntu/fedora) you just drop in
> this "CAD addons" CD and the cad environment get installed.
>
> Since ubuntu or Fedora for that matter will not like a CAD installation
> in the base installation. Considering the lesser usage.
>
> What do you say.

There are several aspects which are against your idea.

1st different package management, rpm, deb, slx,....
    This will become a sisyphus job or as in a german saying 'a job for
    someone who slew father and mother'

2nd What exactly shold be 'CAD addons'
    Part libraries, parametric sets, addon scripts, additional programms, ...

3rd For which field of CAD
    Architecture, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, ...

3rd Wich standardisation to use
    Iso, EN, DIN, ...

4th What will be the applications which should be on the cd
    QCAD, XFig, Varkon, ...

Your idea seems to be smart on a first run but if jou give it a closer look
you may see that all the above points I mentioned not only sum up but
morelikly multiply each other. So a DVD will become too small for all this.

But IMHO a stronger argument is how such an addon cd will be seen by
professional CAD users who are familiar with professional CAD environments. I
fear it will only be seen as another set of hobbyist applets.

The reason why no one has started an Asterisk at home like CAD distribution is
its complexity. It will be hard to distribute only a Varkon for mechanikal
engineering plus some part libraries on a single CD.

So on the long run it will come to an Varcon based distribution which has
additional cd's which have the needed packages. E.G. a cd for architecture,
one foe electrical engeneering, one for mechanical engineering, ....

So what I said max be seen overambitious but I beleve it might be worth to be
discussed / done because such a projact may have the same impact to the CAD
field than Linux has to the field of OS.

regards,
thomas