Vote for new Ubuntu Feature---Let's try it again --- and without getting all religious about it

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 14:54:45 UTC 2007

On 1/10/07, Chanchao <custom at freenet.de> wrote:

> It may actually be related to another long-time thing that irks me and
> isn't even GUI related;  if you have a terminal / SSH connection open
> and you're running an application and for whatever reason the connection
> gets lost, then you connect again and 'ps -A' tells you that application
> (with 4 pages of text in it that you wrote the last hour) is still
> running, then I'd like to go grab that application back to my new
> terminal!!! It would then get reassigned from the user-session that was
> lost to my current session.

Just as an aside as I'm still reading this thread, you can sort of
accomplish this by thinking ahead a little.  If I'm about to run some
command that I know *must* be allowed to run to completion (be it some
long running index, an editor command on an important file, anything),
I run it under screen.  If my connection is terminated, I can
reconnect to that screen session from another login.

This may be something you already do, and frankly, it'd be nice if one
could do that outside of a separate utility, but at least it's
something that may save you some headaches in the future.

--
Chris

memes don't exist -- tell your friends