Vote for new Ubuntu Feature---Let's try it again

Wulfy wulfmann at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jan 9 21:04:26 UTC 2007

Jeffrey F. Bloss wrote:
> Wulfy wrote:
>

>> Jeffrey F. Bloss wrote:

>>> It's not what "Ubuntu wants", it's called keeping a multiuser
>>> operating system secure. If you want free and clear access to
>>> everything as a user, then either run your system in a horribly
>>> insecure way by logging in and doing everything as root all the
>>> time, or choose an operating system that doesn't make any
>>> distinction between users and administrators.
>>>

>> How is asking for a password which must be correct and the user with
>> sudoer having rights to do the operation in question (or the
>> authorisation fails) granting "free and clear access to everything" or
>> "run[ning] your system in a horribly insecure way by logging in... as
>> root"?
>>

> How are the original poster's problems and solutions *not* readable as
> "I don't want to figure it out, I want to do it NOW!"?
>
> Fine... there's a really easy solution to that dilemma... :)

The choices you seem to be offering are "do it MY way or install
Windows"...  some choice.

I'm currently running Debian Sarge so I don't use sudo.

OK.  Let's work this through.  If I sudo <command> (and am authorised to
so that command) my privileges are upped to root (or whatever is given
to me in the sudoers file).  Does that only work for that one command?
Do I have to use sudo for every command and put my password in each time?

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo: