100-200 load average on an idle system: Help!

James Gray james at gray.net.au
Tue Jan 9 16:11:36 UTC 2007

Rilindo Foster wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2007, at 2:16 AM, James Gray wrote:
>

>> Snipped :)
>>
>> All very interesting but not particularly useful :(  You're showing us
>> the top
>> output which says there are approx 127 processes in the run queue but
>> only 2
>> are currently running.  That leads me to think you have something that is
>> waiting for I/O of some sort.
>
 > if it is an I/O problem, perhaps can we get some sort of confirmation
 > like so:
 >
 > iostat -c 60
 >
 > ?

(Top posting fixed - don't top-post)

Quite possible, however, I've found in my experience that looking a
tree-view of the process table in these sort of circumstances generally
yields better results than running down the I/O path alone.  There are
more reasons, than just process waiting on I/O, that will result in high
system load but low CPU utilisation.

Cheers,

James