Change Permissions on a new hard drive to allow write...Problem Solved

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 9 10:15:49 UTC 2007

mtyoung wrote:

> I really don't understand why so many people think that logging in as
> root when needed is such a bad thing, although I can certainly see a
> better way to accomplish what I needed to do.  See my other post
> "Vote for new Ubuntu Feature---Let's try it again".

You should know that it's wasn't in any way necessary for your to log in
as root to do any of what you described.

And you'll understand why logging in as root is frowned upon in most
cases when you're rebuilding a system you've screwed up royally or had
screwed up by some flaky piece of software. It will no doubt hit you
right around the time you start swearing about not having current
backups of all the stuff you've changed while you were root...

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.