Postfix and aliases

Gary Hodges fsunoles at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 20:32:13 UTC 2007

Thank you for your reply.

On 1/8/07, John Mark Walker <johnmark at johnmark.org> wrote:
> Are you sure your /etc/aliases.db and /etc/aliases files have the same data?
>
> "ls -l /etc/aliases*"
>
> I know you ran newaliases, but it doesn't hurt to make sure the
> changes "took". Look at the date stamp on those files.

~>ls -l /etc/aliases*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   338 2007-01-08 12:54 /etc/aliases
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12288 2007-01-08 13:19 /etc/aliases.db

> Also, instead of grepping for "aliases" try grepping for just "alias"
> and see what "allow_mail_to_commands" and "allow_mail_to_files" are
> set to.

~>sudo postconf -d | grep alias
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, nis:mail.aliases
allow_mail_to_commands = alias, forward
allow_mail_to_files = alias, forward

> And finally, if you don't include the "-r <mail address>" in your mail
> command, does it still not work? Have you tried other methods of
> sending mail to your alias address? It's been awhile since I really
> looked into the "mail" command, so I can't recall what "-r" means -
> reply-to?

The -r sets the reply-to address as you guessed.  If I leave it out I
get nothing.  I'm setting the reply-to address to my regular work
address and that is how I see the bounce.  If I run Mail locally it
says I have no mail.  I've tried Mail, mail and nail to send to the
alias address with no luck.

Best my lay person self can gather, it doesn't appear the alias
address (the key) is being resolved to the real address (the value).

Another clue?  If simply mail myself on the local machine I don't get
a mail, but if I mail a valid outside address it works.