mkswap'd my root partition

Michał Sznajder michalsznajder at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 18:48:39 UTC 2007

Hi

After upgrade from Dapper to Edgy I have lost hibernate functionality. After
some goggling I have found out that swap is not on. I found magic command
but unfortunately CR/LF got into my copy&pasted line and I have mkswapped my
root partition. Not so bad so far. ;) I have panicked a little bit and
rebooted: system was not getting up. With help of boot CD I managed to use
e2fsck and make my root mountable again (yup - 1st super block was down of
course).

Right now system is booting, I am able login to Gnome, but I cannot install
any new software. Neither synaptic nor apt-get works. It looks like
/var/../dpkg/ got broken.

Is it possible to make kind of in-place installation ? Or reinitialize
somehow dpkg database?

Regards

Mike