Adding or editing an entry in /etc/hosts

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jan 8 15:13:53 UTC 2007

Peter Garrett wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 18:19:05 +0000
> norman <norman at littletank.org> wrote:
>
>> < snip >
>>
>> > I guess i could have said alt+F2>gksu gedit for gui solution
>>
>> I am very much a novice and needed to make some changes and was very
>> comfortable using sudo gedit
>
> Sure, but the guy with the original problem needed root and could not use
> sudo because the system was unable to use "get host by name" - so he
> needed to boot in recovery mode to the default root prompt, then use a CLI
> editor.

That sounds like something else is broken - yesterday, I was getting
the "get host by name" error, but it wasn't stopping me use sudo.  Now,
perhaps it wasn't actually the same host that was being searched - iirc,
the error was coming out of postfix, which might have been looking for my
fqdn, whereas sudo probably just needs "localhost".

> I second the idea that nano is a much better choice ...

joe :-) (but unless that was already your default CLI editor, you probably
wouldn't have it available - I have been known to use nano in this
situation).
--
derek