Making HDParm Parameters Permanent

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Jan 8 14:44:55 UTC 2007

"Amichai Rotman" <amichai at iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to run an hdparm command on my DVD Writer drive at each boot - to
> make the permanent:
>
> hdparm -c1 -d1 -a8 -u1 /dev/hdc
> I saw somewhere I need to add this line to the /etc/rc.local file. The HOWTO
> I saw wasn't specific to Ubuntu and I wanted to make sure I am doing this
> right, not to break the system...

Have you looked at /etc/hdparm.conf ? It's there just for that ;-)
Scroll down to the bottom of the file, it gives you an option to
specify a string of command line options.
The file is well documented, have a look ;-)

Personally I use it to spin down one of my hard drives at boot, as I
rarely need to access the data on it, and it's very noisy... also saves
power :-)

--
Vince