Intel 915 : do I need 915resolution.deb ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Jan 8 12:54:30 UTC 2007

Yagnesh Desai <ynd at lntenc.com> wrote:
> Secondly:
> I learned that this graphics are better handled by 915resolution
> I got this 915resolution.deb but it has some trick
> to it: it needs to be started before starting X server
> while my installation automatically goes for graphical login input.
>
> I need a tip to boot to a text mode and start X manually.
>
> ie. How do I change my startup script (I do not know where it is)
> so that I first get the $ prompt and then check the 915resolution
> commands and then after setting up the 915resolution I start
> the gdm / kdm / X server.

Just start normally, in graphical mode. But don't log-in, or log-out so
you close your session and go back the log-in screen.
Then switch to a virtual console: press Alt+Control+F1 on your keyboard.
Type your user namle and password to log-in.
Then stop the X server : sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
Then do you stuff with your deb package, then to restart the X server,
just type: sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

HTH

--
Vince