Intel 915 : do I need 915resolution.deb ?

Yagnesh Desai ynd at lntenc.com
Mon Jan 8 11:40:29 UTC 2007

Friends;

My laptop IBM thinkpad R52 has Intel 915GM, Under windows it works
as 1024x768 (32 bit)

While my xorg.conf says:

DefaultColorDepth is 24

If I change DefaultColorDepth to 32 my X-server won't start.

How do I know if this is equivelant to the resolution which
one can get in windows. ?

Secondly:

I learned that this graphics are better handled by 915resolution
I got this 915resolution.deb but it has some trick
to it: it needs to be started before starting X server
while my installation automatically goes for graphical login input.

I need a tip to boot to a text mode and start X manually.

ie. How do I change my startup script (I do not know where it is)
so that I first get the $ prompt and then check the 915resolution
commands and then after setting up the 915resolution I start
the gdm / kdm / X server.

Thanks in advance.
Yagnesh