Possible Syntax Error "interfaces" (Ubuntu 6.10)

Martin Marcher martin.marcher at openforce.com
Sun Jan 7 16:37:24 UTC 2007

Am 07.01.2007 um 17:26 schrieb Mario Vukelic:

> On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 11:08 -0500, Karl-Heinz Schulz wrote:
>

>> I receive host unreachable when trying to ping 207.59.215.23 –
>> what am
>> I missing?
>

> First of all, you define eth0 twice instead of eth0 and eth1. Then, in
> the second definition, you have a typo:
>
> iface eth0:0 inet static
>           ^^
>
> It should be "iface eth1 inet static"

If I remember correctly eth0:0 is valid I guess he's trying to have
more than one IP on a single NIC, nevertheless I'd do it with a mapping

man interfaces has an example on the first page on how to do that
also /usr/share/doc/ifupdown provides lot of information on how to
achieve these things.

hth
martin