.deb file errors

Jhair Tocancipa Triana jhair.tocancipa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 12:45:31 UTC 2007

MICHAEL WEAVER writes:

> Tried to install the .deb file I downloaded for the Network Manager and
> got error messages about it needing certain files.

Which error messages?

> Could this be because I haven't yet updated Edgy since it has been
> installed, the fact that I didn't have my Network card inserted in my
> laptop or just a corrupted .deb file?

In principle, you can check the integrity of a .deb file with the
debsums command (available in the debsums package). E.g.:

$ debsums mono-runtime_1.1.17.1-1ubuntu7.1_amd64.deb
/usr/share/doc/mono-runtime/NEWS.Debian.gz            OK
/usr/share/doc/mono-runtime/copyright                 OK
/usr/share/doc/mono-runtime/changelog.Debian.gz       OK

Given the MD5 collisions found in the last years this check is not
100% reliable (it could be enough for practical purposes though). See,

http://www.cits.rub.de/MD5Collisions/
http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/md5collision/

(debsums uses MD5 signatures).

HTH,