Agreeing to licenses - WAS: Bye to Unbuntu

Gilles Gravier Gilles at Gravier.org
Sun Jan 7 08:22:46 UTC 2007

Anthony,

Having to agree to a license is not opposed to being free... in fact,
the GPL license which covers most of the Linux code is far from giving
free rights to you to do anything with it. You also have obligations,
and quite strong ones in particular if you are a developer. For example,
GPL *FORBIDS* you to develop code by taking from the source base of a
GPL application and using that in a closed source proprietary
application. This is an extremely constraining obligation / restriction
that, as a developer, you NEED to be aware of, and agree to. As people
from Linksys and a few other linux-based hardware boxes realized a bit
late, they are forced by the license (which, if they had thorowly read
and knowingly agreed to, might have led to different choice of platform)
to give out the source of their product's firmware.

Whether it is a good thing for users... or for Linksys is a different
argument... but nevertheless, there is a license that governs the use of
Linux. And when you install and decide to use a Linux based distro, and
other applications, you have to understand the licenses that apply to
them and you have to agree to what they entitle you to do... but also
what obligations you have.

I'm not opposed to having to agree to a license agreement... even in the
context of free / open source software. The difference between that
license and a proprietary license is what makes all the difference and
it's important to know which differences you are actually agreeing to.
And it should be an explicit agreement rather than an implicit...

Some stuff in your Linux distro are under GPL, some under LGPL, some
under BSD, and even in some distros, some are under proprietary license.
Do you know which is which? Do you really know what you are allowed to
do with each piece of code on your Ubuntu (or other distro)?

Again, this is not extremely constraining if you are a user... but it
might mean the difference between your company being prosperous, or
dieing to a lawsuit if you are a developer.

Gilles.

--
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles at Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles at Gravier.org>
*=* *http://www.gravier.org/*