gnome session does not start anymore

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Sat Jan 6 14:32:12 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 02:40:36PM +0100, Marco Mandl wrote:
> suddenly the gnome session does not start anymore. I can't find out what's
> the problem. A few seconds after login I get an error and .xsession-error
> only shows:
>
> /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
> /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp
>  -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "mick"
> /etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
>
> The Gnome Failsafe Session works but I get the following popup:
>
> There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.
> Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.
> The last error message was:
> Unable to determine the address of the message bus (try 'man dbus-launch' and 'man dbus-daemon' for help)
> GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.
>
> Please help me. I am completely lost. Already crazy thought are capturing
> my mind, like switching back to Windows.

Did you try rebooting?

There was a dbus security upgrade recently.  If you've installed it,
didn't reboot, but instead logged out and now cannot log back in, that
could be why.

Marius Gedminas
--
Those parts of the system that you can hit with a hammer (not advised)
are called hardware; those program instructions that you can only curse