e-mail server for intranet

Joris Dobbelsteen Joris at familiedobbelsteen.nl
Fri Jan 5 17:49:17 UTC 2007

Consider the following:

IMAP, like POP3, is a protocol to access you mailbox.

It will not:
* Transfer e-mails to other mailboxes
* Transfer mails between different systems (except you own mailbox
only).
For this you need SMTP (or another protocol, but SMTP is the most widely
supported). In fact, mail clients (such as Outlook, Thunderbird, ...)
and web mailbox applications (such as squirelmail) will need IMAP (or
POP3) to access the mailbox and SMTP to transfer mail to other
mailboxes.

What you can do is limit delivery within your own domains, prevent
e-mails for leaving the system (to the Internet) and prevent
communication with mail servers except for you own.
It requires some effort, but is very well possible.

- Joris