Possible to remove peter at gizmoman.net from users list Was: The "peter at gizmoman.net" dilemma

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jan 5 02:51:36 UTC 2007

David Hart wrote:

> On Thu 2007-01-04 10:42:47 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> David Hart wrote:
>>
>> > Take a look at the (forged) headers of the messages and you'll see that
>> > they don't go through Ubunutu servers so there's nothing (directly)
>> > that the list admins can do about it.
>>
>> of course there is - just remove him from the list.  I don't think the
>> headers are forged, it's just a very bad autoresponder.
>
> Well of course they're autoresponder messages.  Bounce messages _are_
> autoreponder messages but, judging from the messages that I received,
> they are _forged_ bounce messages.

Yes a bounce is an automatic response, but it isn't an autoresponder in the
usually understood sense.  Autoresponders are those programs people use to
tell you they're not home.

> Here's the header where my smtp server (mutt) Received a "bounce":

> # [202.87.14.34])
> #         by mutt.jynn.tonix.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id DBD906E89
> #         for <ubuntu at tonix.org>; Thu,  4 Jan 2007 07:29:08 +0000 (GMT)

By the normal definition of "bounce" it doesn't really look like one either.

> I _know_ that the IP address that the message came from is correct
> because it was recorded by _my_ server.
>
> # david at mutt:~$ dig +short beach-bum-solutions.com
> # 64.15.205.242
> # david at mutt:~$ dig +short beachbum-server.beach-bum-solutions.com
> # 64.15.205.242
> # david at mutt:~$ dig +short gizmoman.net

Big deal.

derek at othello:~$ dig +short pointerstop.ca
69.93.217.50
derek at othello:~$ dig +short -t mx pointerstop.ca
10 ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.

Note.  My MX doesn't look anything like my domain IP.  The mere fact that it
claims to be beach-bum-solutions, but has an IP that actually maps to the
name used says "legit" to me.
--
derek