Copy CD from CLI

Todd Slater dontodd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 14:42:29 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 1/2/07, Amichai Rotman <amichai at iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What would I write at the CLI to copy a CD?
>
> I need to duplicate driver CDs for our customers and I'd like an unattended
> solution:
>
> run am alias or a script that will cause the CD-R tray to open. I put the
> source (driver) CD. After it finishes reading it it opens the tray, I insert
> the blank CD and close the tray and then it writes the CD and spits it out.
>
> I'm sure there's a CLI tool (cdrecord?) I can execute with the appropriate
> switches from within a script....
>
> Thanks!

I'd first make an iso of the cd you want to copy. There are various
ways to do that, perhaps you could mount the cd and then use mkisofs
to create the image, or you could use dd to make an image of a cd.
Then yes, you could use cdrecord to burn the cd.

There's plenty of googleable information out there on burning cd's
from the command line on linux, I hope this gives you enough of a
start.

Todd