Network speed

Mike Mikkelsen raindancer21 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 16:32:24 UTC 2007

Let me first start by saying that while I can install, set up and
troubleshoot a Windows network blindfolded and two hands tied behind my back
(j/k), I'm a newcommer to Linux.  So here's my problem:  I set up an old box
with Ubuntu to act as a simple file server on my home network.  Everything
works fine, except that the new D-Link DGE-530T gigabit NIC I installed in
the box doesn't seem to want to connect at 1Gb/s, it will only connect at
100Mbit.  There's a Linux driver that comes with the card, but the
instructions for installing it are pretty much limited to, "merge it into
the Kernel and recompile".  Which I have not the faintest clue how to do,
and frankly, it seems like doing that would be more trouble than it's worth
to me.

Does anyone know how I can kick this thing up to gigabit speed?  Any
solution that works is okay, and I'm not really doing anything ELSE with the
system, it's just going to sit in a closet (properly ventilated and cooled,
of course ;), I would just like to be able to use the full capacity of my
network connection. Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance!
-Mike

2:50 PM