Sony Ericsson 750i, Dapper, IR

Arjun Shankar arjunsha at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 15:03:53 UTC 2007

I have an Acer Travelmate 4000 with an Infra Red connection running
Dapper, and just bought a Sony Ericsson K750i. I havent used IR ever
until now (and so, dont know how to go using about it).

Although I can connect the phone using a USB cable, I want IR to work
too (its less troublesome, and ofcourse, it does feel good to make
things work).

I did install irda-tools, and blindly tried:

"sudo irdaping"

Turns out I need to get "daddr" (a parameter to irdaping) using 'irdadump'

So:

"sudo irdadump"

while simultaneously getting my phone to send some file out on IR,
with the IR Tx/Rx pairs aligned with each other. However, It couldn't
connect to the notebook.

As far as I can make out, this should get some output. It didnt
capture anything!

Then I did:

"lsmod | grep ir"

and got:

irda                  187068  0
crc_ccitt               2304  1 irda

(that is normal, right?)

Firstly, is there a way for me to know if my IR hardware works? (the
phone is alright, as I have done phone-to-phone transfers without
trouble).

Secondly, is openobex relevant here? (I remember reading it somewhere,
and don't really know anything about it)

Thirdly, how do I proceed to get this to work?

And lastly: Do I sound confused?

Arjun