Easily mount SMB Share on Per User Basis

Anthony M Simonelli a.simonelli at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 28 06:10:07 UTC 2007

I have a Ubuntu 6.10 LTSP5 Server running.  I will be adding users to
this server that require a connection to a single Windows Share running
on a Windows NT Server.  Each need to mount this share, but using each
user's credentials so that the correct permissions are applied.
Therefore, there will be a mount for each user to the same Windows Share
in their HOME directory.  I need it mounted because then the share can
be searched and programs that don't use Gnome-vfs can open files, such
as Adobe Reader.

My question is, how can I have this share mounted automatically at
login?  Would the best solution would be to write a script that uses
smbmount and have it run with Gnome's Startup Programs section?  Then
maybe use zenity for an UI to maintain a "credentials" file for the
script to use when authenticating?  Does anyone know an easier way?

PS: I don't want to use SMB4K, even though that program is fantastic,
since it doesn't integrate well with Gnome/Ubuntu and will be more
problematic than a help, so if anyone knows of a similar program for
Gnome, let me know.