network newbie question

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Tue Feb 27 17:08:31 UTC 2007

On 02/27/2007 07:08 AM, Mikael Backman wrote:
> Hi..
> I have two computers. One windows xp, one ubunto..
> I like to able to copy files from the windows computer to the ubuntu
> computer.  They are both connected to a router  which connect to
> internet via a adsl-modem...  Any help would be much appreciated. I
> don't know anything about this..

Do you want to be sitting at the Linux box be able to "see" the windows
box?  Or do you want to sit at the Windows box and "see" the Linux box?
Those are two different things.  For the former, others have pointed to
the "how to" of file sharing in windows.  If you want the latter, then
you need to run a Samba server on the Linux box.