international layout not found (but SCIM works)

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 15:42:22 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am helping some friends to use their national languages in Ubuntu
(Edgy-eft). I notice that when I put the keyboard applet on the panel
and click on its preferences, their languages are not found (India). In
fact, only a number of keyboards layouts are found (german, russian,
hebrew, english, etc.).

However, if I right click on the terminal or in gedit, I get the "Input"
option which gives SCIM applet on the panel and with which it is
possible to select the input language from the keyboard.

What is the difference between the two methods? If I were to prefer the
first one, what is missing that I am able to use that?

thanks,
->HS