gnome settins daemon problem with vnc server

H.S. hs.samix at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 04:02:39 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am trying to connect to a remote machine, running Ubuntu Edgy, via
vnc. The server running over there is tightvncserver and I am using
xtightvncviewer to open a session.

I have there in ~/.vnc/xstartup:
$> cat .vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh
gnome-session &
metacity --replace &
nautilus -n &
#gnome-panel &
#gnome-settings-daemon &

However, the problem is that when I try to connect to the vnc server
using the command:
$> xtightvncviewer gsq.dyndns.org:1

I get an error message window saying something like:
There was an error starting GNOME Settings Daemon
Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work
correctly.
The last error message was:
Unbale to determine the address of the message bus (try 'man dbus-lauch'
and 'man dbus-daemon' for help)
GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

Anybody knows what this means and how to get around?

I am trying this because I want to use different keyboard maps(to use
unicode fonts) on the vnc server machine. The keyboard applet I get in
the gnome panel also doesn't let me change its settins and reports that
gnome-settings-daemon is not running.

If there is any other way to get different keyboard mappings (languages)
on vnc viewer, I am willing to try.

thanks,
->HS