I need something like MS-DOS Debug

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Mon Feb 26 18:25:18 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 12:42 -0500, Robe wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>

> > GNU dbg should satisfy your requirements.
>

> I need some debugger that let me assemble instructions on the fly.
> Like the option “A” in the MS-DOS Debug to do some tests. I don’t need
> to debug any binary file.

Emacs has hexl-mode, which lets you edit a file's bytes by entering the
hex values for each byte. There's also ghex (in the repositories) which
is gnomeish and does the same thing.

I don't thing either of these tools know how to translate from a given
architecture's assembly instructions to machine code, though. You could
use gas (gcc's assembler) for that, I suppose, but I've never meddled
with it.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/