make: command not found

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Mon Feb 26 07:06:30 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 01:50 -0500, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Sumith augustine wrote:
> > hi all
> >
> > today i was trying to install tclink for ruby on my kubuntu sys.  i
> > downloaded "tclink-3.4-ruby.tar.gz" from
> > http://www.trustcommerce.com/downloads/tclink-3.4-ruby.tar.gz
> >
> > After untaring it i gave "./build.sh" command for installing  then i get
> > the
> > following error
> > ====================================
> > root at tbk013:/usr/local/src/tclink-3.4-ruby# ./build.sh
> > checking for CRYPTO_lock() in -lcrypto... no
> > checking for SSL_connect() in -lssl... no
> > creating Makefile
> > ./build.sh: line 16: make: command not found
> > root at tbk013:/usr/local/src/tclink-3.4-ruby#
> > =====================================
> >
> > then i installed "make"  with apt-get install
> > after that i gave "./build.sh" the the error increase
> > and i got the following errors
>
> It's not all errors.  Carefully read it, and you can see what's probably
> wrong:
> > tclink.c:43:28: error: openssl/crypto.h: No such file or directory
>
> sudo apt-get install openssl
Actually, openssl-dev is missing.

The core tools for a compile are available via the meta-package
build-essential.  However, because Ubuntu packages the development
versions of libraries separately from the run-time packages, you need to
install the development packages for any libraries that you need.  If
you are building software that has been packaged for ubuntu, you can get
the build dependencies with
   sudo apt-get build-dep <package>

> Then try again.
>
> Matthew Flaschen