Web radio

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Feb 24 16:44:57 UTC 2007

Mikael Backman wrote:

> lör 2007-02-24 klockan 16:53 +0100 skrev Davin Terrizzi:
> > Mikael Backman wrote:
> > > Can I get webradio in ubuntu? Realplayer and WMP?  I'd appreciate
> > > any help...
> > >

> > Hello Mikael.
> > You can use a number of media players to play Internet Radio
> > Such as XMMS, Amarok (KDE), Rhythmbox, Totem, and Banshee to name a
> > few. Or are you meaning you have troubles listening to them?
> >
> > -Davin
>
>  I tried to do it the usual way (like in windows) Start firefox. Go to
> www.bbc.co.uk  Start their radio player..  Totem pops up and say it
> cant play rtfs-streams (or something like that)  yet.. I have
> installed the wincodecs-package..

You may need to add the "bad" and "ugly" gstreamer plugins too,
depending on your configuration. They're in Multiverse. A search on
'gstreamer plugin' with that repo enabled will give you lots of options.
Seems to me anyway that when it comes to audio/video codecs and such a
"grab everything you can lay hands on" approach works best.

When you sort codecs out you might want to take a look at StreamTuner
(in the standard repos I think). It's a front end to a few of the more
popular Internet radio sites like Shoutcast, Live363, Google Stations,
etc. Uses just about any player as a back end, and even has a hook for
streamripper if you're into the recording thing. Nicely done little
program. Sorts by genre/bitrate/listeners, has bookmarks and
"preselections", and once you've chosen something to listen to you can
close it. ;)

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.