Graphic problems when booting - more info

Bo Jacobsen bo.2 at systemhouse.dk
Fri Feb 23 19:47:32 UTC 2007

> I'm new to Ubuntu, and have downloaded the latest 6.10 version to try it
> out.
>
> My problem is that when booting the CD onto a MS Virtual PC, the
> graphics goes into a very strange (and very wide) mode that makes it
> impossible to view whats going on. I can see that something is displayed
> and Ubuntu is running, but the screen is a mess.
>
> The first boot screen where one can select "Start or install Ubuntu,
> Start Ubuntu
> in safe graphics mode..." is displayed correctly, but no matter what
> graphics mode
> or resolution I select, after the Ubuntu standard boot window (with the
> progress bar)
> is finished, the graphics mode changes, and the screen is unreadable.
> I think the final screen is a menu with the menu elements like
> "Application Places System"
> or something like that. The mouse works and I can invoke things, but
> it's very difficult to see
> whats going on., but it's clear the the system is running.
>

> Any suggestions ?
> /Bo
>

> PS: SuSE linux, BSD, OpenBSD and a lot of other linux's doesn't have
> this problem.

When it goes wrong I can see that Ubuntu changes the resolution from
1024x768 (in the
window with the progress bar) to a strange resolution of 1600x600x8 ?!.
My screen run
natively 1680 x 1050, but changing the resolution on the host pc (where
Virtual pc is
running) don't matter. Ubuntu always selects resolution 1600x600, no
matter what I do.

Is there a way to force Ubuntu to ALWAYS use a specific resolution like
1024x760 or
1280x1024, at this specific place in the boot sequence ?

/Bo