Saving ubuntu email to CD or DVD

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Feb 23 15:49:55 UTC 2007

alex wrote:
> I'm running Thunderbird for email and have accumulated thousands of
> ubuntu list emails.   I'd like to remove the older mail and save it on
> CD or DVD for future  reference.
>
> How can this be done---saving and reading?

By default, I think Thunderbird profiles are stored in
~/.mozilla-thunderbird .  Look for the folder with the random name. The
easiest thing is to move the mail you want to archive to a folder, then
in the profile, find that folder (it'll be under Mail/Local Folders,
ending with .sbd), and copy it and the associated file (they'll both
start with the name you chose) to the CD.  Then, when you want to read
it, you'll have to copy it back.

Matthew Flaschen