Off Topic: anti spam software??

The enigma enigma at rick-net.com
Fri Feb 23 14:54:42 UTC 2007

David B Teague wrote:
> Disclaimer:
>
> I am aware this is off the topic of uses of Ubuntu. Some of you know
> more about killing spam than I ever will, so...  If any object to this,
> by all means, send flames. However, any answer, even a link to a place
> that might provide an answer, that will be gratefully and
> appreciatively received.
>
> The Question:
>
> Can anyone recommend antispam software that works under XP with
> Thunderbird? Thunderbird Baysean spam detection isn't effective against
> spam that has advertisements in an embedded image.
>
> I use Verizon DSL. This is the only high speed internt available to me.
> Their antispam feature has about 20% false positives. I turned it off,
> yet I receive only a little more spam than when I was using it.  (But
> still too much.)
>
> Ideally, I would like to have software that has a white list, initially
> populated from my address book; a black list, initially populated from
> the national known spammer database; that will challenge email senders
> who are not in the white list; that has Baysean spam detection and scans
> images to detect spam. Free software is to be desired, but I am willing
> to pay a reasonable price for proprietary software, if it runs on my
> local machine.
>
> Any advice other than use one of the Debian based Linux distros with
> Spam Assassin?
>
> There may be my answer. While waiting for an answer, I'll look for a
> version of Spam Assassin that works under Windows.
>
> Warmest Regards
> David Teague

I have that problem too. I use Thunderbird 1.5 for Winxp, and I haven't
found any Spam filters yet that work with it. Thunderbird 1.5 does come
with the option to send incoming mail  to their junk folder, and any
successive email from that domain/user is then automatically moved to
that folder. As a matter of fact, that's the way most of your  junk mail
software works anyway. As time goes on, you usually get junk mail from
the same places (usually) the junk mail downloading to your inbox
lessens. I've created a filer for this mailing list, so my inbox doesn't
get cluttered. I have two email addresses. I've done the same thing on
the "Evolution" email client on my Linux box.
Hope this helped

--
Rick D.
Windows system scanned by