Edubuntu/ ltsp? [was Re: VMware ]

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 23 10:09:11 UTC 2007

hi,
On Do, 2007-02-22 at 10:42 -0800, Patton Echols wrote:
> This is a good discussion, very informative.  I guess I don't understand
> the difference between running windows apps with wine as opposed to
> vmware.  I had thought that wine was for running individual windows
> apps, where vmware would allow the running of an entire windows (or
> other os) environment.  It appears you are throwing out wine as a
> possible solution for the entire windows image on a thin client?  If
> that's right, then I'm confused.
indeed these are two different tasks, you are right, one runs the whole
OS while one only provides a layer to run single apps ... independently
from this fact, you break the EULA with both *if* you use it via
ltsp ... the design of ltsp allows you to use one single install and
license in the server (either of the OS (vmware) or in case of wine of a
single app)) for all users on the thin clients ...

the tasks are different, but the legal problems are identical ;)

ciao
	oli