VMWare / Wine

Ouattara Oumar Aziz wattazoum at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 20:58:53 UTC 2007

Patton Echols a écrit :
> This is a new thread but related to my last question about VMWare.  That
> last discussion took a turn to discussing thin clients in the
> educational setting.  A good discussion on its own but raises additional
> questions for me.
>

> My understanding is that wine can be used for running individual windows
> apps under linux.  vmware is used for running an entire windows (or
> other os) environment under linux.  Currently my laptop can dual boot
> Ubuntu Edgy and XP home.  Though I have moved the majority of my digital
> life to Ubuntu, there are still some windows apps that I need to keep.
> I have not yet figured out either wine or vmware.
>
> In either case, my understanding is that I can run wine / VM  and point
> to the Win program / partition to run.  The difference as I see it is
> that Vmware would give access to the entire windows desktop while wine
> would just run the program.  Again, this is probably one of those things
> that is obvious once you have worked with it even a little bit, I've
> been reading but have not attempted to do either.  I had mostly
> concluded from reading that the VMWare route was the better choice, but
> since it takes more setup, I had not gotten to it yet.  The recent
> edubuntu / ltsp thread makes me wonder whether I need to do more
> thinking on the subject.
>
> Does anyone have thoughts on why I should choose one route over the other?
>
> Thanks

I'll tell you what I thing are the main differences between Wine (and
its forks : Cedega and CrossOverOffice) and VMware :

Wine :
- no need for windows license
- very light.
- some windows applications won't run on it.

VMware
- need a windows installation ( just one is enough , you can clone the VM )
- need to run an OS over an OS ( which requires great host performances)
- every windows apps will run on it (but Direct X ones - this features
is on testing in VMware Workstation 6 )

So the use of one of them depends on what you want to do with it.