X11

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 22 13:30:02 UTC 2007

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 07:32:33 -0500
Erik Schmidt <eschmidt90 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm very new to Linux and X11, so forgive me if this is a stupid
> question, but what if I'm trying to use Athena?

Have a look at

$ apt-cache search athena dev | grep  Athena

You will probably still need xlibs-dev as well .

Use apt-cache search as above when in doubt. Another useful tool is
"apt-file", which enables you to track down files that you don't have
installed, and find out which packages they are in. So if the compiler
or ./configure complains about missing files, you can usually track them
down with these tools and some common sense.

Another useful method for packages that already exist in Ubuntu but that
you want to recompile, say, with a newer version, is

sudo apt-get build-dep <packagename>

which installs the build dependencies for you

See
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/

with attention to

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html