VMware

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Thu Feb 22 06:34:41 UTC 2007

On 02/21/2007 08:13 PM, Dave Grundgeiger wrote:
> Patton Echols wrote:
>
> There are two things that I would be concerned about. The first is
> performance--you do pay a price for the virtualization layer, and you say
> these are old boxes. Second is licensing--you'll still need a Windows
> license for each virtual machine.

Yes, I was aware of these problems.  We have a local computer
"recycling" center that does the whole extract metals routine, but also
puts serviceable models back into use cheaply.  I'm trying to get
together an arrangement where they will find us late model machines that
would be upgrades for us, even with the virtualization layer.  I am told
that they expect that they could replace our boxes over the course of a
year.  But not all mirror image boxes.  That's why it is so important
that virtualization layer make the windows image hardware generic.

As for the licensing issue, the recyclers will be taking in licensed
boxes and can transfer the license to us for a nominal fee.

Thanks for your thoughts, I'll be doing some more research and see if
this will work out for us.