Weird entries in /var/log/syslog

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Feb 21 20:23:41 UTC 2007

Janne Jokitalo wrote:

> > As I read it this is largely a 3Com issue, and not isolated to
> > Ubuntu.
>
> Right, this is unfortunate.
>
> > My "ideal solution" would be to replace the NIC with something not
> > 3Com of you can, mostly because NICs are just that cheap.
>
> This would not be preferable, since I only have 3com cards spare. :)
> And besides, they work fast and are reliable.

Agreed. I generally choose 3Com over other NIC's when I can. But I
*might* consider a $9 Realtek el-cheapo if it wasn't mission critical
and it enabled some feature I wanted. ;)

> > I did see some discussion about a kernel patch, but I doubt it's
> > worth messing with custom kernels that will have to be re-patched
> > and recompiled every update, unless you're *deeply* in love with
> > your network monitor. ;)
>
> Yes I found that too. But I'm not _that_ much in love with it, so I
> just left it out.

Now how did I know that's what would happen... ;-)

Those little flashing lights are for sissies and children anyway. Real
admins read log files. REAL admins can spot network problems just by
feeling the vibrations in network cables, or from the subtly strange
odor rotten bytes give off.

Just keep telling yourself that when you start missing your network
monitor applet. <grin>

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.