spamd & claws mail

Jeffrey F. Bloss jbloss at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Feb 21 20:06:39 UTC 2007

Nikolai wrote:

> The actual error when running sudo apt-get install spampd is:
>
> An override for "/var/cache/spampd" already exists, aborting
> Warning: statoverride couldn't be created for /var/cache/spampd
> An override for "/etc/spampd.conf" already exists, aborting
> Warning: statoverride couldn't be created for /etc/spampd.conf
>  * ERROR: Insufficient privileges. Retry as root
> invoke-rc.d: initscript spampd, action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error processing spampd (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 4
>  spampd
>

> "Insufficient privileges?" I'm running it with sudo... What's going
> on?

There was a problem with version 2.30-6, but it should have been (was
reported to have been anyway) resolved. Check the version you're trying
to install. It should be 2.30-11 if your Edgy is the same as my Edgy. ;)

As strange as "root can't do that" first sounds at first it's very easy
to demonstrate. Create a text file as root, then 'chmod 444' it. You'll
be able to open/copy/read it same as everyone else, but not edit it,
even as God. :)

Side note: I prefer Bogofilter for use with Claws-Mail. It's faster by
a very noticeable difference, just as good at managing spam (maybe a
little better in some respects), and you don't need another daemon
eating up system resources. There's a very fine plugin for Claws-Mail
that's compiled/installed if you have Bogofilter installed to. :)

--
     _?_      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
    (o o)         Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.