Java ide installation (Sun)

John Dangler jdangler at atlantic.net
Tue Feb 20 07:05:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 08:27 +0200, Haim Ashkenazi wrote:
> John Dangler wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to install Sun Studio 8.1 .
> > I've run update-alternatives, and selected the sun java 1-5r11 as my
> > jdk.
> >
> > During the first part of the install, the sun studio installer script
> > asks for the location of the jdk (it doesn't find one on the system).
> >
> > I'm trying to find the location of the jdk, but can't seem to locate it.
> > apt-cache show sun-java5-jdk doesn't tell me where it was installed, and
> > a locate sun-java5-jdk shows 98% of the entries in /usr/share/doc, so I
> > don't think it's there.
> >
> > Does anyone know what location the installer might want?
> > (I've read through the installation docs, but they don't say anything
> > other than the obvious -- "if the dialog shows no jdk, just navigate to
> > where your jdk is installed and provide that path")
> just run "update-java-alternatives -l" and you'll get a list of java virtual
> machines installed on your computer. you should probably make sure that the
> active one is the one from sun if you want to run sun studio.
root at croatus:/opt# update-java-alternatives -l
java-1.5.0-sun 53 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun

If I read this right, this shows the location of the java virtual
machine (jvm).  Is the jdk (developers kit) also located here?
I would think that they would be different, but I could very well be
wrong on that point.