OT maybe: Looking for a tool or . . .?

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Mon Feb 19 23:02:34 UTC 2007

I'm a newbie to linux (Ubuntu my first functioning install, tried a
redhat install years ago and lost patience before it would function).

I have a project where I want to do some text editing, but not
manually.  The document is in HTML and has text in normal font, bold and
italics, mixed in each paragraph and often in each sentence.  (Basically
a "redline" version of a lengthy document) What I need to be able to do
is strip out the text in bold, remove the italic formatting, but leave
that text.  I could do it manually, but where's the fun in that?

My question:  I'm sure that there is either a linux tool, or text editor
with scripting ability that can do what I want.  And I'd love to RTFM,
but I have no idea where to look.  Anyone have any pointers / ideas?  If
not, a better forum to ask?

Thanks