cannot find libmp3lame.so

Mitch Contla mcontla at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 16:54:17 UTC 2007

H.S. said the following on 02/19/2007 08:40 AM:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to export a home recording from wav format to mp3 from
> audacity. When I try to export a selection of audio to mp3, audacity
> wants to know the location of libmp3lame.so. Upon searching for it, it
> cannot find it anywhere. There is no *lame* in /usr/lib. I have searched
> through google and some suggestions are to install libmp3lame, or
> liblame-dev or lame packages. But I am not sure where to get them from.
> I am using Edgy eft. Any suggestions how to solve this one?
>
> thanks,
> ->HS

liblame-dev is in the multiverse repository. If it's not already
enabled, add the following to /etc/apt/sources.lst:

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy multiverse

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ edgy-security multiverse

Then at a shell prompt:

$ sudo apt-get update #skip this if multiverse was already enabled

$ sudo apt-get install liblame-dev

That should do the trick.

--
Mitch