How to get default desktop from partial install?

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 14:09:57 UTC 2007

On 2/19/07, PaulJ at netcall.com.au <PaulJ at netcall.com.au> wrote:
> I've recently changed distros to Ubuntu 6.10 from Fedora FC6. I scrubbed
> the "/" partition but wanted to preserve the existing "/home" and
> "/usr/local" partitions from Fedora as they contained a lot of good stuff.
> Everything went well except on boot-up the desktop is a mess lacking the
> proper default set of menus etc. I presume the set-up for this is stored
> in my account somewhere and has not been overwritten by the new install.
> My question is: how do I reset the desktop to be the standard Ubuntu
> desktop as if from a completely clean install?
> Thanks,
> PaulJ.

If you're running ubuntu (i.e., gnome), try moving your ~/.gnome and
~/.gnome2 files to somewhere out of the way.

1. Log out of gnome

2. do Alt-Ctrl-F1

3. log into the (text) tty and run the following:
mv ~/.gnome ~/gnome.old && mv ~/.gnome2 ~/gnome2.old

4. Alt-Ctrl-F7 (back to Gnome)

5. Alt-Ctrl-Backspace (to restart X)

I'm not sure if the last step is necessary, but just in case.

-Eamonn