Recent problem with anacron cron.daily hanging.

Adam Funk a24061 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 11:16:49 UTC 2007

A few days ago I started getting this strange problem: my cron.daily
job was never finishing, so the next day's job couldn't run and a lot
of the functions weren't getting run.  I have to use a root shell in
xterm to kill the hanging process, then watch with `ps aux` to see
what hangs next, and so on.  The hanging processes are mainly --- but
not only --- in logrotate postrotate scripts.

The first problem was that
   invoke-rc.d --quiet cupsys force-reload
from /etc/logrotate.d/cupsys was hanging; when I killed it, cron.daily
moved on down the list, but when I ran it manually from the root shell
it worked.

Later `/etc/init.d/sysklogd reload-or-restart` was hanging; so I
killed it and ran it manually (no problem).

In the past few days I've also had problems with the postrotate
scripts for apache2 and samba hanging, as well as
`/etc/init.d/clamav-freshclam reload-log`.

The strange thing is that I'm having this problem on only one of two
Ubuntu edgy machines, both running the same kernel (2.6.17-11-generic
#2 SMP, although on different hardware).

I would be very grateful for debugging advice!

Thanks,
Adam