Upgrade from Dapper to Edgy

Rick Greep RickGreep at cti-consulting.com
Sun Feb 18 07:20:07 UTC 2007

	Well it looks like I stumbled on a hornets
nest. "https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dash/+bug/61463".

	After spending a few of hours trying to get dash to work, I've found a couple
of annoyances it just doesn't seem to handle. You cannot use escapes in the
echo command ( -e "\t\n"), and variables like $HOSTNAME are not valued under
dash.

	I know I can use `uname -n` instead of $HOSTNAME and maybe my echo commands
don't have to be that pretty, but it is a bit annoying to have to change my
scripts to accommodate this upgrade. Also from what I have read in the bug
comments a number of vendors have also grown to rely on bashisms. Moving to
dash as the default shell would break those scripts.  It sounds like I will
be a lot happier if I keep the "sh -> bash" symlink in place.

	Thanks for the link it was good to get the background on this.

--
Rick Greep, Core Technologies, Inc.
RickGreep at cti-consulting.com