After Dapper Update NFS/SMB don't work

Jeremy Thompson jeremy.a.thompson+ubuntu at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 16 18:38:51 UTC 2007

Thanks for the replies..

On 2/16/07, Luis <lemsx1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you sure that you can resolve "server"?
>
> $> host server

jeremy at Main:/etc$ host server
server.MSHOME has address 208.67.219.41
Host server.MSHOME not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

So I would guess I can't resolve the server.  I don't know if I couldn't do
this before hand...

That should give you the IP of "server". If that works, then try:

> $> showmout -e server
>
> And that should give you a list of all the shares that server is serving.
>
> If any of those two commands don't work, then your problem is either
> /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf and/or firewall issues (hint: iptables
> -nL).

jeremy at Main:/etc$ sudo iptables -nL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Here's the other command.

jeremy at Main:/etc$ cat resolv.conf
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
domain MSHOME

Is there some service I should see as running?  Here's the output of hosts,
I added the 192.168.1.3 to it after it didn't resolve.  It still doesn't.

jeremy at Main:/etc$ cat hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost Main
127.0.1.1 Main
192.168.1.3 server

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Thanks again

JT

You don't need to do anything on server, since it works fine from Windows.