Fail to execute a binary file from a CD...

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Feb 16 13:58:00 UTC 2007

<posted & mailed>

Patrick Gelin wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>
>> On 16/02/07, Patrick Gelin <patrick.gelin at free.fr> wrote:
>>> gelinp at gelinp-desktop:/media/cdrom0$ sudo ./installUnix
>>> sudo: unable to execute ./installUnix: Permission denied
>>>
>>> What is the problem?
>>
>> CDs have user as an option in /etc/fstab.
>> user adds the options noexec, nosuid, and nodev for security.
>> You wouldn't want a user being ables to save an SUID binary on a
>> machine they had root access to and then running it on a PC they
>> didn't to elevate privileges. Similar reasoning applies to the nodev.
>>
> ok, but I'm the user knowing the sudo right password, I'm working with my
> machine, I must to be able to exec the binary even if it's from a CD!

Yes, this doesn't sound right.  You should also be able to mount CDs _as_ a
user, and execute them with user privilege.

What happens if you use: sudo bash /media/cdrom/installUnix

Also, I'd want to have my working directory set somewhere other
than /media/cdrom, as you'll definitely run init permission problems if it
tries to write anything.
--
derek