After Dapper Update NFS/SMB don't work

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Feb 16 05:04:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:04:02 +0100
"Jeremy Thompson" <jeremy.a.thompson+ubuntu at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I issues the 'sudo mount -a' command and I get
>
> mount to NFS server 'server' failed: server is down

On the server, have you tried

sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart            ?

( I'm assuming that you are using the nfs kernel server )

Also if you run

ps aux | grep nfsd            you should see a first line like

root      4758  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   Feb13   0:00 [nfsd4]

Followed by about 8 lines each ending in [nfsd] .

If you run

cat /etc/default/portmap

do you see a line like
#OPTIONS="-i 127.0.0.1"   ?

That line should be commented out, as above, with a # , or portmap will
only listen on the loopback interface of the server machine.

rpcinfo -p 192.168.1.100   ( substitute the IP of your NFS server) should
output quite a few lines including portmapper lines, nfs lines, nlockmgr,
mountd and status .

Good info at

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/NFS-HOWTO/

HTH and all that ...