AltCar + Num (special characters)

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Thu Feb 15 21:01:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 14:29 -0500, François Rousseau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Windows, we can do "left alt + num key" to get some special
> character.  I search a way to do something similar in Linux Ubuntu
> 6.10, ideally the same thing.

Which characters do you have in mind? The "left alt+num key" let you
enter specific ASCII codes, which don't necessarily make sense in a
unicode world (though I'm not saying a compatibility mode might exist).

If you're looking for composed characters, such as ã, é, ş, or ṡ, you
can check out the Keyboard Preferences control panel under
System/Preferences. There's a "Layout Options" tab and you can select a
"Compose key" which you can press just before typing two characters that
you'd like to put together. For example, I have the "windows menu" key
set to compose characters. I press the menu key, then 'a', then '"', and
I get this: ä

There are some other options in there, and you might like to try
different layouts. I have two set so I can switch between Cyrillic and
English with the right alt key. I also keep the Keyboard Indicator
applet in my top panel so I can see what layout I'm using.

до свидания

mike

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>