Unique names for UMS devices in /media/

Jon ubuntu-users at quack.clara.co.uk
Thu Feb 15 09:30:11 UTC 2007

Tom Eastman wrote:

> I have several different USB Mass Storage devices (cameras, MP3 players,
> memory sticks and removable hard drives).  All of them are correctly
> mounted in /media/ as 'usbdisk' or something similar.
>
> What I would like, though, is for each one to have its own directory
> name.  For example, my mp3 player to come up as '/media/iriver' and my
> camera to come up as /media/fujifilm' or something like that.
>
> I know this can be done on some level, but I'm not sure how deep I have
> to go.  Whether it's something to do with HAL, or udev, or somewhere else.

There's a tool called "PyGTK Storage Device Manager" available as pysdm
in the universe repository which does exactly this. It provides a GUI
for udev rules - allows you to match a device by name, model, vendor or
bus and perform actions such as creating a link with a specified name
when the matching device appears.

Screenshots at http://pysdm.sourceforge.net/ (although they don't show
the rule definition dialog) or just 'apt-get install pysdm' and take a
look yourself.

Having said that, some of my devices seem to mount with sensible names
by themselves - some do, some don't. Maybe it's something I setup a
while back but I've forgotten about... nothing appears in /etc/fstab
though and I know I've never learnt to write udev rules.

Jon